About us - English page
Synchronous Conservatory of Crete was founded in 1998 in Heraklion, with the aspiration to become a musical educational institution able to provide students with high education, as well as to contribute to the cultural activity of Crete by organising major events, such as music concerts, competitions, seminars, lectures, etc.
First director of Synchronous Conservatory of Crete, from its foundation until 2010, was Theodore Antoniou, composer and member of the Academy of Athens. Since then, Ioannis Lygerakis, composer and distinguished professor of Music Theory and Guitar, has served as director of the Conservatory.
Teachers were selected with strict criteria, combining remarkable qualifications with teaching and artistic activity. Synchronous Conservatory of Crete, in order to supervise and promote the educational work, collaborates with musicians of established reputation, such as the famous guitarist Evangelos Assimakopoulos (of the Evangelos & Liza guitar duo) and the notable pianist Nelly Semitecolo.
Departments of Synchronous Conservatory of Crete:
- Classical Music Department with schools of Composition, Harmony, Counterpoint, Fugue, Piano, Guitar, Strings, Winds, Percussion, Lied, etc.
- Modern Music Department with schools of Drums, Electric and Acoustic Guitar, Electric Bass, Modern Song, Keyboard, Accordion etc.
- School of Byzantine Music
- Department of Popular and Traditional Greek Music with schools of Cretan Lyra, Laouto, Mandolin, Oud, Bouzouki, Traditional Percussions (Toubeleki, Daouli, Bendir etc).
- Music education for children to introduce 5 to 7-year-old children in the world of music.
- Department of preparing candidates of Music University Departments for succeeding in the Pan-Hellenic National Examinations in the courses "Harmony" and "Control of Musical Acoustic Skills".
Synchronous Conservatory of Crete is housed in two buildings shaped to fulfil the specifications of contemporary musical schools:
- Main school, on 11 Geronimaki Street, 71306 Heraklion, tel. 2810 222221, 2810 242474
- Branch of Mastampas, on 25 Patriarch Gregorious E' Street, 71305 Heraklion, tel. 2810 325032.
During the last 20 years Synchronous Conservatory of Crete has successfully organised a great number of seminars and concerts with leading musicians such as: Theodore Antoniou, Janis Vakarelis, Evangelos Assimakopoulos, Liza Zoe, Nelly Semitecolo, Spyros Sakkas, Kostis Gaitanos, Thanasis Pavlou, Kyriaki Konti, Manolis Vrontinos, Vasiliki Leontari, Petter Svensson, Virginia Amariotaki, Panagiotis Adam, Alexia Mouza, Notis Mavroudis and others.
Synchronous Conservatory of Crete and Municipality of Archanes organised from 2000 to 2005 the International Guitar Competition of Archanes, one of the most important international music competitions held in Greece.
During the competition, numerous events were organised, in the form of a Festival, attended by important artists, such as Manuel Barrueco, Leonidas Kavakos, Roberto Aussel, Lucas Foss, George Kouroupos, Spyros Sakkas, Evangelos Assimakopoulos, Liza Zoe, Costas Cotsiolis, Giorgos Demertzis and others, as well as the top Greek Orchestras Camerata (under the direction of Alexandros Myrat) and Orchestra of Colours (under the direction of Miltos Logiadis).